Forest of Bere Woodturners Newsletter Pages

Home 2022 Archive



Our chairman was on holiday so I stood in for him as John Wyatt and his team were busy setting up the new lathe with Iain Grant organizing the new storeroom for all our gear. Mike Sharp was setting up the camera equipment as it had only been used once before the start of the Pandemic. Dave Reynolds was on hand to collect the fees.

We must thank the members who made the tea and coffees plus did all the washing up and tiding the kitchen.

Photograph showing the new lathe and camera set up which will being used on Tuesday’s club night with Mike Haselden demonstrating.

In the meantime I set up the Axminster lathe ready for the beginners to turn but it was more a demonstration than hands on although some of the members had a go at turning bowls.


It is rather difficult to write this as I was standing in for our Chairman Alan who was on holiday and sent his apologies.

We had new members joining us which is good news as we start a new era in our new premises.

It was pointed out that the new programme cards were now available through the Secretary Dave Reynolds and it was mentioned that the position of Treasurer was showing as a VACANT position and a request was made for any member interested to contact a committee member.

Thanks were given to John Wyatt, Iain Grant and Mike Sharp for getting the room cupboard up and ready plus checking that all the equipment was up and running ready for club night.

The last Saturday club was mentioned stating that we had 22 members attending and thanks was given out to all the Tutors and helpers for without them it wouldn’t be possible to run.

With the new lathe and lighting/camera’s all set I announced Mike Haselden who took the floor to commence his demonstration.

The project was going to be turning a small bowl from a cube.

The two photo’s shows the two holding Jam chucks and the placement on the lathe.

Mike explained that he found that using these chucking pieces the object blank was held much more securely than holding it between centres.  Hopefully the next photo will make it clear has to how the piece was held.

What this enables you to do is to place your cube cornerwise into both jigs and helps with a more stable work piece. The first part is to turn a foot on the tailstock end of the work piece also the outside of the bowl. This then enables you to reverse the piece using the chuck. The next two photos show the piece ready to be reversed.

Once Mike was satisfied with the profile he showed how he would sand the item by putting the lathe into reverse (explaining to make certain that you had locked the chuck onto the spindle using the grub screw).

He used sanding blocks with different grits as this was a demo he didn’t finish it completely as he wanted to make certain that the bowl could be finished on the turning front.

This photo shows the piece reversed and fixed in the chuck you will notice that it has three sides and should give you some idea of the shape.

Picking up his gouge he proceeded to remove the centre of the bowl.

The large photo was taken from the split screen and shows all three angles of the beginning of removing the centre.

Mike continued to remove the centre waste of the bowl until he was again satisfied with the shape. Again he described how he would sand the piece reminding everyone that it was at this stage to watch for the three fingers of the bowl.

The next photo shows Mike using a homemade sanding pad to help you blend the sanding contours together.

Once the sanding was finished he then went on to explain how to remove the foot of the bowl i.e.:- the original chucking point.

He explained that the way to do this was by using a Jam chuck made from a scrap piece of wood turned to fit the inside of the bowl. The bowl was then attached and made secure by adding masking tape round the edge of the piece and the jam chuck and proceeded to very carefully remove the original chucking point and to finish the base of.

Unfortunately I didn’t take a photo of this but I have added a photo of a number of these types of bowl at the end of this write up.

There were a few questions and with still half an hour left, Mike said he had time for one more project so taking a small piece of square section attached it to the lathe and proceeded to turn a Goblet. Photos will follow on the next page.

When Mike started his demo he gave us Tip of the month which was an Oiler can.

Firstly you need a small can about the size of a small Baked Bean can remove any sharp edges. Then taking some towelling such as an old Tea Towel or similar material cut it into strips approx ¼ to ½ inch  taller than the height of the can. Roll this into a tight roll until it fits the can without unravelling. At this point add either 3-1 oil or Paraffin wax enough to soak the pads. Cut another piece of towelling to cover the top of the pad big enough to tuck in to the sides using a screw driver of a pallet knife. Once this has been done cut another piece the same size attach it the same way this is a replacement piece which as it gets dirty throw it away and attach a new piece. This can be used on the backs of tools on your tool rest and even on your tool bars of the lathe and many more applications.

The photos show the Oilers with the replacement top peeled back and the finished item.

The next two photos show the making and the finished Goblet and of the three cornered bowls that Mike has Produced.

John then gave a vote of thanks to Mike Sharp for how the new camera system was running and to Iain Grant for all his help.

Written and photographed by Don Smith and is my interpretation of Mike’s demo.